Saturday, September 7, 2013

A little view back

I thought I'd share some photos of old costumes, as it's still really empty around here.

I'm in a group that meets every week to practice dances across the centuries - mostly just for fun, but some weeks ago we had a performance at a summer party a home for the elderly in the region held.
I'm in my underpetticoat in these pictures - I had finished the white petticoat with ruffles I should have worn to fit in with my group the night before, but put it on a hanger after ironing... and then forgot the hanger in the living room. Oh well...
My hair looked less patchy in real life, I swear! I really didn't want to wear the nylon wigs the rest wears, but there was some fear I might stick out with my dark hair, so I didn't just powder it a little like usual, but sprayed the heck out of it.

The dress is made from Ikea bedsheets (I was on a budget and like the flowers) using the J.P. Ryan Anglaise pattern.


I also painted a fan, following this one from the Met quite closely but used dancing figures adapted from "Le Bal Paré" by Antoine Jean Duclos for the scene in the middle.


Edit: Here's another photo of the same combination with just a bum pad...

...and a rather bad one (sorry) with the white skirt, with a makeshift quilted petticoat underneath.



And for something completely different: A dress based on 15th century Burgundian clothing (except for the shift's neckline which isn't correct). I love the reproduction thimble, even if I'm holding it in a weird way in the photo.
The dress was an adventure because I persuaded my boyfriend to help me drape a mockup directly on my body. It worked fine in the end, though. He's a gem. (Did I mention he also does my hair for 18th century purposes?)

No comments:

Post a Comment